Aaaaahhhhh, now that was nice.

All in all, the trip was wonderful. Good slow family time, lots of hours spent playing Monopoly (Braedan’s new favorite) and doing puzzles (my obsession). The house was classic rustic Maine, with spectacular views of the water:

Our first full day started out dreary and overcast so we visited the nearby transportation museum and then had lunch in Rockland.  A quick walk around town and the harbor and then we were back home for football watching (Mark), a good hilly run (me) and model car building (boys).

Sunday was gorgeous, sunny and in the high 50s, a perfect leaf-peeping Maine day. We drove to the Camden Hills for a hike, one hour and fifteen minutes up Mt. Megunticook, with Braedan in the lead and Austin on Mark’s shoulders (well, partway at least).

Water break

We made it!

Love this shot

With the whole world in front of them

Almost done

The following day we dragged the boys all the way back to Freeport for some outlet shopping. They didn’t mind a bit because the minivan had a DVD player — a definite trip highlight — plus we had burgers at Johnny Rockets which they loved.

No time for views, just movies

Two thumbs up, baby!

Another kid favorite was the trapdoor in the back bedroom complete with a ladder down. This was the only way they went up to the second floor the entire trip:

On our last day, we visited the Marshall Point Lighthouse, located just three miles from our house and famous for being in the final scene of Forrest Gump, as he runs across the country.

Run, Forrest, run!

Searching for seashells

As we were driving back to Portland yesterday, I dared to say that everything had gone remarkably smoothly for the entire trip.  Of course we then arrived at the airport to find our flight to Newark was so delayed that we’d miss our connecting flight so they instead routed us through Charlotte, NC (not quite along the direct path from Maine to Cleveland). That flight then sat on the runway for an hour and we arrived in Charlotte a mere ten minutes before our second flight took off. Luckily we were only one gate away and made it just in the nick of time. The kids were troopers, having eaten nothing for dinner but NutriGrain bars, and we arrived in Cleveland safe and sound by about 8pm.

Twenty-five minutes later, we pulled into our driveway and all started squealing and screaming, “Oh my god!” when we saw . . . well, I’ve gotta save something for tomorrow.